In a tragic turn of events, the first case of the life-threatening Congo virus in Karachi this year has resulted in the death of the patient, who was undergoing treatment at a private hospital, officials confirmed on Sunday.

The deceased, identified as Muhammad Adil, a 28-year-old resident of Liaquatabad, had visited the hospital as an outpatient earlier in the week. Health officials revealed that samples were collected from the patient and sent to Aga Khan University Hospital (AKUH) for testing. The laboratory results from AKUH confirmed that Adil had contracted the Congo virus.

Parliamentary Secretary on Health, Qasim Siraj Soomro, informed The Express Tribune about the confirmation of the virus, stating, "The laboratory results confirmed that the patient was infected with the Congo virus."

Adil, who worked as a meat slaughterer, processor, and seller (butcher) in meat shops located in a supermarket in Liaquatabad, had initially experienced a fever and headache on April 30, for which he self-medicated with paracetamol tablets at home.

As his condition worsened, Adil was admitted to Habib Medical Hospital on May 2 due to a very high-grade fever. After experiencing episodes of bleeding from the nose and mucous membranes, he was transferred to Ziauddin Hospital in North Nazimabad on May 4, where he received intensive care treatment. However, despite all efforts, Adil succumbed to the virus on May 5.

The provincial health department spokesperson disclosed that the patient had a positive history of handling animals, as he worked in the meat market. However, he did not have any animals at his home and had not traveled outside Karachi during the period of his illness.

Congo virus, known for its dangerous nature and potential for causing early-stage bleeding, poses a significant threat to public health. It shares similarities with dengue fever in terms of symptoms but can rapidly escalate into a life-threatening condition.

The virus is primarily transmitted to humans through ticks found on cattle and other livestock. It can result in severe fever, muscle pain, vomiting, and internal bleeding. With a high fatality rate and no specific vaccine or treatment available, the emergence of the first Congo virus case in Karachi this year has raised concerns among medical experts and health authorities.

In light of this development, the provincial health department has issued a public health alert, urging citizens to take preventive measures to avoid contracting the virus. Precautions include wearing protective clothing and using insect repellents when in contact with cattle or other livestock.

Written By Web Desk

The Webdesk of Times of Karachi is known for its captivating stories that cover a range of topics, including politics, society, culture, and entertainment.