Fawad Chaudhry lambasts Sindh government’s lockdown decision


Federal Information Minister Fawad Chaudhry has opposed the lockdown decision taken by Sindh government amid the rising number of Covid-19 cases in Karachi, said that the Federal government will not allow for the lockdown to be enforced.


He said that it is against the decision of Supreme Court which does not let provinces to take unilateral decisions in this regard. The provinces are bound to follow the decision taken by the federation, National Command and Control Centre (NCOC) regarding the pandemic, he added.


Taking the working class into consideration, the information minister stressed on the earlier statement of Prime Minister Imran Khan that the complete lock down would severely affect the daily wage earners and working-class people.


He further said that Sindh government has no monopoly over the Karachi as it is the jugular vein of the state which can not be completely shut. Stressing on the article 151 of the constitution he said, “We cannot allow anyone to take actions that could affect this vein.”


The complete lock-down decision was taken by Chief Minister Murad Ali Shah, in the provincial Covid Task Force meeting earlier on July 30. In which the lock-down has been extended till August 8.